When God Comes Near: New Beginning
By Rev. Joey Heath
Advent is the season of preparation for the reality of God in our midst, God who came near to us, Christ born divine and yet one of us. In this season, we begin anew the journey to Bethlehem and to the manger.
From that lowly manger, we again journey to Jerusalem and the disciples, to teaching on the hillside, to feeding massive crowds, to listening to the unheard, to picking up the unwanted. Then, we begin the journey toward the cross where sorrow and death intermingled, when all seemed lost until Christ rose from the grave with the promise that we have all been set free and the God who created us is waiting with arms open wide.
Advent is the beginning of our telling of this story once again, of starting it over, just as we get to start over again.
Other highlights in this issue:
- PASSIONATE WORSHIP: Advent Giving and Fellowship Opportunities, PAGE 3
- SERVANT LEADERSHIP: Pastor’s Report to Charge Conference PAGES 4-5
- RISK-TAKING MISSION & SERVICE: Volunteer Dinner Celebrates Service PAGE 8
- INTENTIONAL FAITH DEVELOPMENT: Christian Education Programs PAGES 9-12
- RISK-TAKING MISSION & SERVICE: Community Garden Enhancements PAGE 13
- SERVANT LEADERSHIP: Administrative Board Passes 2016 Budget PAGE 14